Maya Angelou Proverbs

There are a few contemporary authors, poets and public speakers out there who I admire greatly, not for their opinions on certain viewpoints, but rather for their ability to speak from the heart. Maya Angelou has written many phenomenal pieces, yet it was during an recent interview with Oprah that she said a few proverbs that all people would do well to live by. The following is a copy of those words, as sent to me in email by a friend:



In April, Maya Angelou was interviewed by Oprah on her 70+ birthday.

Oprah asked her what she thought of growing older.

And, there on television, she said it was "exciting." Regarding body changes, she said there were many, occurring every day...like her breasts.
They seem to be in a race to see which will reach her waist, first.

The audience laughed so hard they cried.


Maya Angelou also imparted these smart tidbits - wisdom gathered over 70 years of living:

"I've learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow."

"I've learned that you can tell a lot about a person by the way he/she handles these three things: a rainy day, lost luggage, and tangled Christmas tree lights."

"I've learned that regardless of your relationship with your parents, you'll miss them when they're gone from your life"

"I've learned that making a 'living' is not the same thing as 'making a life'."

"I've learned that life sometimes gives you a second chance."
"I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw some things back."

"I've learned that whenever I decide something with an open heart, I usually make the right decision."

"I've learned that even when I have pains, I don't have to be one."
"I've learned that every day you should reach out and touch someone.

People love a warm hug, or just a friendly pat on the back."
"I've learned that I still have a lot to learn."

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

2 responded with...:

Annie Jeffries said...

Toni, Maya Angelou was the commencement speaker at my college graduation from UC Riverside in 1977. That was the first time I heard her speak. About ten years ago she was here on campus as the commencement speaker and again I was privileged. Now I try to hear her whenever I know she is going to appear on a television program. She is a true Wise Woman.

La Fuerza Artemis said...

Awww. Those are awesome proverbs. I especially like the one about the importance of making a life and not just a living. I'm working on the whole carpe diem thing myself. :)