A Catfish Paprika Recipe Worthy of George Totin

What does one do with 4 pounds of fresh catfish? The packets were on sale yesterday, and for roughly $3, we would have the makings of a goof fish fry. We would have, that is, if Better Half wasn't too sore from doing yard work yesterday.

There are many things I can do well, but frying fish is not one of them. Better Half, the Southern Boy, can fry anything to perfection. He surely channels Paula Dean and Bobby Flay, if not Emeril. I woke up this morning anticipating spicy fried catfish and a side of winter squash.

Better Half woke up anticipating going back to bed.

What does one do with 4 pounds of fresh catfish? They improvise.

A family favorite in this house (handed down from my Father) is Chicken Paprika. It's a Hungarian dish, heavy on the paprika and sour cream; a true comfort food. I used to make this traditional dish every Father's Day, but since moving away from my parents, I have not bothered to whip up a batch (with the exception of their visit out here this past summer.) It is not that the recipe is difficult, or the ingredients too hard to come by. It simply reminds me of my Dad, and to make chicken paprika is to admit that it saddens me as he is not here in person to enjoy it with us. I have made the dish with chicken, beef and pork... and my mind pondered the possibilities of catfish. Would it work? Would it taste terrible? Could I add the squash to it? Oh, what the hell! Let's go.








Catfish Paprika Recipe
4 pounds fresh catfish, 1" cubes
1 yellow onion, diced small
1 Patty Pan squash, diced small
1 Tablespoon butter
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste (we use 1 tablespoon)
Paprika, ground, to taste (we use a whopping 1/8 cup or more!)
1 can low fat, no MSG chicken broth
1 cup sour cream

1 cup shell noodles, cooked

Melt butter on med-hi heat in a large skillet, then add diced onions, salt, pepper, and 1/2 the paprika. Cook until translucent. Add squash and fry for about 2 minutes, or until it begins to become tender. If things get too dry, you can add a tad more butter.

Add catfish to the pan, and stir fry for a few minutes, then add chicken broth and remaining paprika. Cook until catfish is done. Lower heat and add sour cream, a bit at a time, working it into the broth mixture. If you would like the sauce to be more hardy, you can thicken it with flour. Once sour cream is combined, add noodles. Your completed dish should have a medium pale orange color to it.

Enjoy! Share a hardy pot with friends and family.


I tired it... and I like it! The fish doesn't overpower, and the flavor blends well with the paprika and sour cream. Normally, this recipe would be done without squash (and you can substitute pork or chicken.) However, the squash added a bit of harvest aroma to it.

So here's to you, Dad! Wish you were here to savor Catfish Papikosh with us!

2 responded with...:

Annie Jeffries said...

Divine. The catfish may not be necessarily fresh here but I have printed this recipe and guess what's for dinner Friday night?

Annie Jeffries said...

Divine. The catfish may not be necessarily fresh here but I have printed this recipe and guess what's for dinner Friday night?