Sunday Scribblings - Who else might I have been?

Who else might I have been?

She asked this question again, as she stared out the rain-coated windows. Who am I, what was I, and who else might I have been? Droplets meandered down the chilly glass pane, matching the reflected path of tears on her own face.

She had worked so hard, wanting so badly for him to notice her. She had pressed her uniform neatly that day, each crease aligning perfectly with the next. Her sisters and she and had taken great pains to get her hair just right, and most of the morning was spent curling each gentle loop so the cascades would frame her angelic face. Her bow matched the blue of her eyes, or so he sister insisted. She arrived early to school, performing last minute primping as the other students gathered.

It was just one day... one very long 24 hour period... from the last time she had seen him. He had dropped his book bag, and she, on impulse, had reached down and retrieved it from the floor for him. "Thanks," he said, and then had added "See you at the movies." Oh, he knew she existed! He was looking forward to seeing her! How much love could one twelve year old heart hold? And she would see him again today, and ask him what time they should meet.

But the doors opened, and he sauntered down the hall, and she found herself tripping over her own tongue. "Hello," she said shyly, so very aware of how deep brown his eyes were. "Um, what time?"

He regarded her, taking in her silly ringlets and cute little bow. "Who are you, anyway?"

Hopes and young heart dashed, she raced from the hallway, running away from him and her own embarrassment.

And so she sat, on the ledge of the window in the girl's bathroom, repeating his question again and again in her head. "Who else might I have been?" she said softly, "to get you to notice me?"



A short fictional Musing for
Sunday Scribblings.

13 responded with...:

Kamsin said...

It's so sad when people feel like they need to be someone else to feel accepted and get people to notice them. I hope that little girl grew up to know just how beautiful she was and that he probably wasn't worth it anyway!

Kay said...

Very touching - and so true to life. I'm so glad I'm not a pre-teen anymore!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I loved reading this, but it was so sad. Sad and true.

-Aly

Unknown said...

How crushing a child's heartbreak can be. Well-written.

Jennifer S. said...

very good writing! left me a little bit heart-broken... well done

TheTart said...

Oh boy ... so touching! Thank goodness I am past that stage. Well done ... you pulled me into the whole thing!

Smooch,
The Tart
; )

Pacian said...

Lovely. And so sad as well. I wish I didn't sympathise with that little girl...

gma said...

Some times it takes a while to learn that you are a valuable person regardless of anyone elses opinion.

Anonymous said...

Aaw...figuring out who we are and who we want to be at age 12 is hard! Knowing what to say to a cute boy at that age is downright scary!

briliantdonkey said...

Nice job on this post. very touching.

BD

jennifer black said...

Nicely done. I live this line: "How much love could one twelve year old heart hold?"

jb

Annie Jeffries said...

Such carelessness in a 12 year boy. And how true to life. I imagine we all have a story from that age. I know I do. 46 years later, it still bothers me, or rather it bothers the 12 year old girl who still lives inside of me.

Anonymous said...

A touching piece of flash. I wonder just how many times this has happened? Too many to count no doubt. Thanks for the good read.