TAG! A Meme for Bibliophiles!

I was tagged by AnnieElf today. I thought: "Hmm, no big deal. This could be fun." Little did I know that Better Half and I would spend the next half hour trying not to piss ourselves from laughing too hard.

The Rules of this tag game are:
1. Grab the book nearest to you...no cheating!
2. Open to page 123.
3. Scroll down to the fifth sentence.
4. Post text of next 3 sentences on to your blog....

I grabbed a book, one that I am currently reading (R.A. Salvatore's Legacy of the Drow, Collector's Edition), and followed the Meme instructions. I found myself giggling, realizing that the lines, taken out of context, would read like a rather tantalizing paragraph from a dime store romance novel. The scene, between the Dwarven King and his Barbarian friend, consisted of the Barbarian on his knees before the dwarf, and the short three sentences could be seen as a bit sensual. EEP!

On to the next book! Better Half's collection is handy - Star Trek Rules of Engagement! Ah, nooo. What is with page 123 and catching characters in a situation that isn't what it would appear to be if more than three lines were read? Well, it is Captain Kirk, after all. But, no. I could never post that on my blog and expect mothers to allow their children to stop by.

Next book! The Post Man, by David Brin. Flip to page 123. It reads, in three short lines, like a pedophile having his way with a boy behind an oak tree. EEP! NO.

Next book! Richard Marcinko's Rogue Warrior: Green Team. Page 123. Damn. The F word, the S word, and thus the "not acceptable for small children readers".

Next Book! David Brin, don't fail me again! Earth. 123. Double damn. It reads like a romance novel. I must be cursed!

The bible! The Holy bible! Flip to page 123, anticipating a long, boring passage. No. NO! Spilling seed. Unclean beasts. Oh Lord.

An old Roget thesaurus. That surely won't fail me. Wow. I didn't know there were that many words to describe something so natural.

I turn to a tome of poetry from 1891, a collection of works for public audiences. On page 123, the sixth sentence begins the sobbing woes of a mistress pleading with her lover to leave his wife, for the wife can not pleasure him as well as her own body does. How risque.

A paleontology tome? Page 123? Suspected breeding habits of theropods. Charming. Better Half has tears of laughter edging his eyes.

Something dusty catches my eyes. Eh? Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, by J. K. Rowling. This should prove safe, and it does. So, I give you the tag, now completed:

"Fred, George, and Ginny were nowhere to be seen, though the path was packed with plenty of other people, all looking nervously over their shoulders toward the commotion back at the campsite. A huddle of teenagers in pajamas was arguing vociferously a little way along the path. When they saw Harry, Ron, and Hermione, a girl with thick curly hair turned and said quickly, "Ou est Madame Maxime?"..."


I'm tagging: Roadchick, Sophie, and David. Thanks for bemusing this muse, Annie!


5 responded with...:

Annie Jeffries said...

Toni, you are wild. You NEVER fail to amuse. Who would have thought? That is some library you've got. I'm going to start looking on page 123 in all my books. In fact, I will make it a habit. Don't turn to the LAST page first (terrible habit, I know) but turn to page 123, lines 5-8.

TMTW said...

Annie - we were ROTFLOAO! I really did try to find something that didn't read in a "kinky" sense. Jeff and I were laughing so hard, especially when I began reading the 5 sentence passages to him using a cheesy "romance novel" voice. It really was a fun Tag!

Tongue in Cheek Antiques said...

too funny, even the bible had a secret surprise for you!

Roadchick said...

Hee! Thanks for the tag - it was a blast!!!

LoRi~fLoWer said...

ooh, i'm so doing this one when I'm at home with all my books!